“FOR THERE WILL NEVER CEASE TO BE POOR IN THE LAND. THEREFORE, I COMMAND YOU, ‘YOU SHALL OPEN WIDE YOUR HAND TO YOUR BROTHER, TO THE NEEDY AND TO THE POOR, IN YOUR LAND.’” DEUTERONOMY 15:11
The Haven of Hope Shelter of Van Wert County is a community of Christians who have come together to help displaced men in Van Wert County by providing a place to stay and ongoing guidance to obtain the resources necessary to embrace the next chapter of their lives.
To engage with those who come to Haven of Hope and love them into a more independent and productive life by providing for their spiritual, physical, and emotional needs as children of God.
- All people are made in the image and likeness of God and thus possess an inherent dignity and worth we must respect no matter their situation.
- We believe Jesus Christ transforms lives through the sharing of the Gospel and the good works of the followers of Jesus.
- We believe homelessness may be a symptom of deeper spiritual and emotional issues.
- We value people’s safety and security as a means towards healing and recovery.
- We value Christian stewardship and are careful with the resources we have been entrusted to manage and maintain.
- We believe in continuous improvement and will consistently evaluate and improve the ministry we share with our guests.
- Jesus Christ is our light and inspiration; we will endeavor to keep the example, teachings, and spirit of Christ at the center of all we do.
About Haven of Hope
In the autumn of 2018, a group of people began diligently working to open a shelter for people experiencing homelessness in Van Wert County. After tours of surrounding shelters, the creation of a Development Board, engaging the community, and much prayer, Haven of Hope is finally more than just a dream. It’s becoming a reality!
On October 29th, we closed on our phase one building, located at 233 N. Market Street in Van Wert. A few days later, we began renovations in preparation for our State Occupancy documentation. Our anticipated renovations will cost around $80,000. This space will be used as a drop-in men’s shelter and will hold space for 10 cots. Each evening, guests will enter, having an opportunity to engage with staff, volunteers, and local pastors. They will sleep and then leave the building by 8am. Guests are permitted to stay for 30 days at a time. The yearly budget for phase one is around $36,000, including our mortgage payment, insurance, utilities, and paying a part time executive director. Later phases include, spaces for women and children, and eventually transitional housing where folks can stay in for a longer period of time to secure housing, job prospects, and other opportunities.
The Board of Directors currently includes President Vicki Smith, Vice President Mike Saylor, Treasurer Jim Nelson, Secretary Natalie Riethman, Chris Wannemacher, Linda Sidle, Teresa Schaffer and Jamie Ramos.
We are continuing to develop the board and will share more details about our members and how to reach them, soon. We are so thankful for the community support as we work together to care for those who would otherwise be sleeping outside. We look forward to seeing how lives are changed through Haven of Hope.
We are blessed to have the support of the following area churches and organizations: First United Methodist, Lifehouse Church, Love INC, Trinity Evangelical Lutheran, Trinity United Methodist, Wesley United Methodist, Calvary Evangelical, Redeemer Lutheran, St. Mary’s of the Assumption, Living Truth Ministries of Van Wert, Jennings Road Church of Christ, Village Ministry Center, Rockford Belle Community Church, and United Methodist Cooperative Ministry of Van Wert.
We ask that you continue to pray over all of our staff, board members, volunteers and community members as we move forward.