“FOR THERE WILL NEVER CEASE TO BE POOR IN THE LAND. THEREFORE, I COMMAND YOU, ‘YOU SHALL OPEN WIDE YOUR HAND TO YOUR BROTHER, TO THE NEEDY AND TO THE POOR, IN YOUR LAND.’” DEUTERONOMY 15:11
The Haven of Hope Shelter of Van Wert County is a community of Christians who have come together to help displaced men in Van Wert County by providing a place to stay and ongoing guidance to obtain the resources necessary to embrace the next chapter of their lives.
To engage with those who come to Haven of Hope and love them into a more independent and productive life by providing for their spiritual, physical, and emotional needs as children of God.
- All people are made in the image and likeness of God and thus possess an inherent dignity and worth we must respect no matter their situation.
- We believe Jesus Christ transforms lives through the sharing of the Gospel and the good works of the followers of Jesus.
- We believe homelessness may be a symptom of deeper spiritual and emotional issues.
- We value people’s safety and security as a means towards healing and recovery.
- We value Christian stewardship and are careful with the resources we have been entrusted to manage and maintain.
- We believe in continuous improvement and will consistently evaluate and improve the ministry we share with our guests.
- Jesus Christ is our light and inspiration; we will endeavor to keep the example, teachings, and spirit of Christ at the center of all we do.
About Haven of Hope
This effort began in the fall of 2018 when a group of community members came together wanting to tackle the taboo homelessness issue in Van Wert County. After 2 years of diligence and prayer, our dream became a reality when we opened Haven of Hope on October 11th, 2020.
We have been open since and are able to serve up to 10 men at a time. Guests are able to arrive between 7:00-7:30pm and must leave by 8:00am the following morning. The shelter includes an office, a gathering area, a sleeping room with bunk beds and linens, 2 bathrooms, a shower room, and a washer/dryer. Case Management services are provided by Darla Liatos to help our guests find employment, rehabilitation, housing, and other resources. We also serve a hot meal in the evening, breakfast in the morning, and provide goods for the men to have throughout the day.
The Board of Directors currently includes Executive Director – Jamie Ramos, President – Teresa Shaffer, Vice President – Vicki Smith, Treasurer – Jim Nelson, Secretary – Natalie Riethman, Chris Wannemacher, Ashley Bultemeier, and Nan Grace.
We are blessed to have the support of the following area churches and organizations: First United Methodist, Lifehouse Church, Love INC, Trinity Evangelical Lutheran, Trinity United Methodist, Wesley United Methodist, Calvary Evangelical, Redeemer Lutheran, St. Mary’s of the Assumption, Living Truth Ministries of Van Wert, Jennings Road Church of Christ, Village Ministry Center, Rockford Belle Community Church, and United Methodist Cooperative Ministry of Van Wert.
We ask that you continue to pray over all of our staff, board members, volunteers, and community members as we move forward.